1 matter resulting from the process of grinding; "vegetable grindings clogged the drain"
2 a harsh and strident sound (as of the grinding of gears)
3 the wearing down of rock particles by friction due to water or wind or ice [syn: abrasion, attrition, detrition]
- present participle of grind
A form of dance
- Of or pertaining to the act or sound of grinding.
- The meeting came to a grinding halt when the two sides could not agree.
The grind of a sharp edge is its shape in cross-section, including the curvature of the two surfaces that make the edge and the angle between them.
Grind may also mean:
- Grind (1997 film), starring Billy Crudup.
- Grind (2003 film), a film about amateur skaters, starring Adam Brody and Mike Vogel.
- The Grind (film), a 2008 crime film
- Grind, a Tony-nominated Broadway musical from 1985.
- Grind (gaming), a pejorative term in computer gaming meaning repetitive and/or non-entertaining gameplay.
- Grinding (dance), a sexually suggestive modern dance style in which two or more individuals rub their bodies against one another.
- "Grindin'", a 2002 song by the Virginia Beach hip-hop group the Clipse.
- "Grind", a song by the Seattle grunge band Alice in Chains.
- Grinding machine, a tool that uses an abrasive wheel to produce very fine finishes or to make very light cuts.
- A grind is a trick performed in many extreme sports, including skateboarding, rollerblading, BMX, wakeboarding and others.
- The Grindcore music genre.
- Grindfest, a grindcore music festival in Portugal.
grinding in German: Schleifen
ablation, ablative, abradant, abrasion, abrasive, absolute, absolutist, absolutistic, application, arbitrary, aristocratic, arrogant, atomization, attrition, attritive, authoritarian, authoritative, autocratic, beating, boning, bossy, brainwork, brecciation, buffing, burdensome, burnishing, chafe, chafing, comminution, conning, contemplation, cram, cramming, crumbling, crushing, despotic, detrition, dictatorial, disintegration, domineering, dressing, drill, drudging, engrossment, erasure, erosion, erosive, exercise, exhausting, extensive study, feudal, filing, fragmentation, fretting, galling, gnawing, granulation, granulization, grating, grazing, grind, grubbing, hardworking, harsh, headwork, heavy, high-handed, imperative, imperial, imperious, inspection, irritant, irritating, irritative, jangling, jangly, jarring, laboring, levigation, limation, lordly, lucubration, magisterial, magistral, mashing, masterful, mental labor, monocratic, onerous, oppressive, overbearing, overburdensome, overruling, pegging, peremptory, perusal, plodding, plugging, polishing, pounding, powdering, practice, rasping, raspy, reading, repressive, restudy, restudying, review, rubbing away, sandblasting, sanding, scouring, scrape, scraping, scrapy, scratch, scratching, scratchy, scrub, scrubbing, scuff, severe, shining, shredding, slaving, slogging, smashing, smoothing, stinging, straining, strict, striving, struggling, study, studying, subject, suppressive, sweating, swotting, toiling, trituration, tyrannical, tyrannous, wear, wearing, wearing away, wearying, weighty, wide reading, working